The South Texas Archives, a division of the James C. Jernigan Library at Texas A&M University-Kingsville, houses archival materials documenting the rich history of both South Texas and the University.
In 1925, during the inception of the University, Professor John E. Conner felt that history would be more interesting to university students if, as a teaching tool, those students collected historical documents and artifacts, and assisted in building a museum and archives on campus. As the collections grew the collections required an increasing amount of space and in 1929 were housed in the back of the main academic building, which was then designated as the John E. Conner Museum.
In 1978, the South Texas Archives was established as a part of the Conner Museum, and was tasked with the preservation, cataloging, and public access for historical documents collected by the University History Department, the John Conner Museum, the Jernigan Library, the Robert J. Kleberg History Club, and the South Texas Historical Association.
In 1981, the University drafted a proposal for the South Texas Regional Studies Program with three components: The John E. Conner Museum; the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Institute; and the South Texas Archives. Ultimately, the Regional Studies Program did not materialize, but the Kleberg Wildlife Institute became a part of the College of Agriculture, and in 1982 the South Texas Archives was designated as the official depository for University historical documents.
In 1995, the South Texas Archives separated from the Conner Museum, and became a part of the James C. Jernigan Library, and in 1999 the rare book collection at the Jernigan Library was co-mingled with the rare book collection of the archives, and the archives became the South Texas Archives and Special Collections.
The South Texas Archives welcomes donations of materials that document the history and evolution of TAMUK from administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and the general public. Materials of particular interest include records of student organizations and social clubs, records of academic programs and schools, college publications, faculty and staff biographical records, and documentation of life at TAMUK.
We also house personal papers, family papers, and organizational records that may provide insight into the history of the community as it relates to the broader history and heritage of South Texas and Northern Mexico. When you donate historical documents to the South Texas Archives, that history will be preserved as part of our history and made available to scholars and researchers for all time to come.
Donations are considered gifts to the archives, and donors will be asked to sign a deed of gift document acknowledging the transfer of ownership to the archives. The archives collect materials in all formats, including paper, photographs, memorabilia, audio/visual materials, and electronic records.
South Texas Archives MSC 197 700 University Blvd Kingsville, TX 78363
South Texas Archives James C. Jernigan Library 1050 University Blvd Kingsville, TX 78363